I took the dive today. No, not an Ilya Kovalchuk swan dive at
center ice when the backup goalie sneezes. Instead I installed
Community Server 2.0. Was it fun you ask?
Well…….no. Was it easy you ask? Well……no.
Here’s what happened.
- I backed up my 1.1 site and database through the UI my hosting
company provides. Everything is great, I’ve got copies on my home
PC for rollback purposes.
- I delete all folders relating to CS 1.1 from my site.
- I download the web install from www.communityserver.org so that I can get my grubby little mitts on the SQL upgrade scripts.
- I run the two click installation provided by my hosting company and all works well.
- I cut and paste the upgrade scripts into the web based Query
Analyzer provided by the hosting company. This is where things go
to hell very fast. First the web UI chokes because the script is
to long. So I cut it down into blocks. I run the first
block of script and the UI chokes because the script has the keyword GO
in it. Sigh……
- I run the scripts against a restored copy of my database locally
on my machine. That works fine so I back it up and FTP it to the
website. When I try to restore the database to the SQL Server on my
website I can’t because I’ve backed it up on my SQL Server 2005.
- I use the IP address and credentials for the web site database
server and I connect to the CS 1.1 database using SQL Server Management
Studio. The scripts take a while to run, but they finally run
- I move up the Skin I’m using and make a couple of quick tweaks.
- I reset the connection string to point at the right database.
Okay. So that all took about 7 hours, but it’s looking great
right now. I also took a second plunge and decided to put some
Amazon ads on the page partly to show what books I’m currently reading
and partly to see if I can generate a little revenue to fund some of my